skip to Main Content

If you are an ultralight powered parachute pilot who was registered as an ultralight powered parachute student or pilot with an FAA-recognized training exemption holder – EAA, ASC or USUA, before January 31, 2008, you can use your aeronautical experience (flight hours) obtained in powered parachute ultralight vehicles (no FAA N-number) to meet the experience requirements to obtain a sport pilot, private pilot or Flight Instructor Sport (CFIS) certificate to fly a powered parachute (PPC) light-sport aircraft (LSA) in accordance with FAR 61.52 until January 21, 2012.

This means that you can use time flown in an ultralight powered parachute vehicle to meet the sport and private pilot certificate hourly experience requirement. For example, 11 of the 12 minimum hours flight experience required for sport pilot-PPC (powered parachute) could all be flown in an ultralight powered parachute vehicle plus 1 hour, two calendar months prior to the checkride is required.  However, the flight time must be flown after the date you registered in the ultralight registration program, and properly logged per FAA requirements for logging flight time.

Any flight instruction you have had from a ultralight PPC flight instructor should also be properly logged and endorsed by the ultralight powered parachute flight instructor in the same way as an FAA CFI would endorse your student logbook after a flight lesson. The flight instruction you received from an ultralight powered parachute flight instructor can be used to meet the flight proficiency requirements specified in FAR 61.311 for sport pilot and 61.109 (i) for Private Pilot. To verify that you were a registered ultralight powered parachute pilot, you need to get a copy of your certified ultralight training records/letter from the organization that you were registered with.

If you are a registered ultralight powered parachute pilot, these are the steps to getting your sport pilot certificate:

  • Request your training records. Obtain a copy of your ultralight pilot letter from the FAA-recognized organization you were registered with.
  • Obtain endorsement from FAA CFI prior to knowledge test (or use the on line Prepware to provide the endorsement.
  • Successfully pass a FAA PPC sport pilot knowledge test administered by an FAA testing facility.
  • Log 1 hour of flight training with FAA CFIS in preparation for practical test no more than two calendar months prior to practical test.
  • Obtain endorsement from FAA trike CFI prior to practical test.
  • Successfully pass a FAA sport pilot practical test, which includes an oral and flight test administered by a sport pilot examiner (SPE).

Use the Sport Pilot Locator to find a pilot, CFI or PPC dealer near you.

Back to top

Back To Top