When you become a Sport Pilot Examiner (SPE) Powered Parachute (PPC), you will have the privilege to administer practical tests for sport pilot applicants flying Powered Parachute (PPC) light-sport aircraft (LSA). As a Sport Pilot Instructor Examiner (SPIE) you will have the privilege to administer practical tests for Powered Parachute (PPC) sport pilot certified flight instructor (CFIS) and sport pilot applicants.
To become a SPE or SPIE you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have at least a current and valid sport pilot airplane certified flight instructor certificate.
- Meet minimum flight time requirements (PIC total – 250 hours, PIC in LSA Category – 100 hours, Total Flight Instruction Given – 100 hours, Total Flight Instruction Given In LSA Category – 50 hours, PIC Last 12 Months In LSA Category – 25 hours).
- Apply and be accepted to attend the FAA airplane examiner seminar. NATIONAL EXAMINER BOARD – DESIGNATED PILOT EXAMINER CANDIDATE APPLICATION (.pdf).
- Take the Examiner Knowledge test
- Successfully complete the FAA examiner seminar.
- For complete information on the FAA Sport Pilot Examiner program refer to the SPORT PILOT EXAMINER HANDBOOK (.pdf).